3 Aug 2008

Zucchinis on my mind

Due to the unprecedented positive response to the breakfast week's zucchini fritters I thought it only right to share a few more of my favourite zucchini-related recipes. The first is probably the easiest soup you can make; uses up lots of zucchinis at once (which is good if you have a few over-excited plants); cooks really quickly; and is super tastey. Its from Bill's "Open Kitchen"

1 large onion, roughly sliced
olive oil
sea salt
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
1 kg zucchinis, sliced
1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup **uncooked** white rice (I used brown rice for the nutty flavour)

Place onion, olive oil and salt in a large saucepan and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, or until onion is translucent. Add the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, stock, pepper and rice and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Blend the soup in a blender or processor until smooth. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.

The next recipe was a bit of an experiment. Essentially a carrot and walnut cake but I halved the carrot and used grated zucchini. Like my banana bread, I use wholemeal flour, substitute butter for olive oil and use honey for sweetening. It is NOT a sweet cake/bread by any means and I was a bit apprehensive or how it would turn out. Seems the family really really liked it; in fact, they polished off the whole loaf in about a day - yes, before I could snap up a photo so my above artwork will have to suffice (btw those blobs are meant to be noticeable bits of walnut and zucchini)

1 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon/mixed spice
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
1/4 cup dried currents or raisins
1/2 cup grated carrot + 1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
(may need to add 1/4 cup milk if the mixture is too dry)

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, currents and walnuts in a bowl - mix together.
In a separate bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add honey, olive oil and vanilla and beat till combined. Add greated vegetables and beat. Then slowly fold in the flour mixture being careful not to over-stir! Pour into a greased, lined and floured loaf tin and bake in a moderate oven (175'c) for about 50mins-1hr (everyone's ovens are different so I suggest checking it after about 45minutes). You'll know its done when the top is golden and coming away from the tin and when "carefully" skewered it comes out clean.

Now back to the oven I go to pull out some very spicy, very dark, very wholemeal gingerbread.
Hope you've all had a pleasant Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. The recipes sound yummy.
    Is the rice in the soup already cooked? regular? quick cooking?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the cake is as good as the banana bread, I'm going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M MAKING THE SOUP THIS WEEK!
    Thank God for Hover Zuchie recipes!
    XOXOXOXOOX
    Plume

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.