13 Aug 2008

This Post Belongs To

I've been wanting to make these for a long time. In the quaint paper shop I work every Friday people are always asking for book labels - the old style ones - which have a space to write "this book belongs to" etc. When I was little my mum used to always put a label or a message in new books saying who the book belonged to and who it was from. My favourite is a little book of old lullabies in which she wrote: "For Emily with love from Mummy when you were growing inside".
There are six designs which I've had printed onto archival paper that has a peel-away adhesive back. I am selling them in packs of 5 in the shop for $5 each.I wonder whether you'll find them as delightful as I did in making them... It changes the way you give something when you allow it to "belong"; but I envision these labels being used on jars, on boxes and who knows what else. In fact, whoever can think of the most inventive use for my labels will win a pack of 5 with one of every design. Then pens and I shall announce the winner on Sunday!
And while we are on the subject of labels and memories of children's books... let me share the inside jacket of "The Golden Treasury of Poetry". I think you can tell a lot about a book by what's on the inside covers.
Like the illustrations in old encyclopedias
Just beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I just LOVE those labels! I'm sure I could find a hundred uses for them.

    I also have the same copy of Louis Untermeyer's poetry book which I have owned since my early days of teaching. It really IS a treasure as well as being a treasury and I love it even more now than I did then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would be sweet on the doors of those rentable mailboxes in the post office, to make your box feel more homey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they would be precious on children's bedroom doors. This 'room' belongs to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the labels - especially the two with the water on them.

    I think they could be a nice surprise for someone if they had a nice message written on them and they were stuck on the inside of a wardrobe door so you get a nice surprise when you open it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.