26 Aug 2008

A Question

Is this a case of bed hair or a sign of gypsy ancestry? I am going to opt for the latter as it would explain many of my impromptu singing, spoons-playing, barefoot, tea-drinking, restless tendencies.

Have I mentioned that I adore etsy.com? I don't think I ever have. But I do. With all my heart. I cannot remember how I came across it a year ago; but it has brought a lot of joy. Not only as a place that I can sell my own hand-made goods but to see others. To encourage hand-made. In a world of mass-production, materialism, nonsense-buying-mentality etsy has been a breath of fresh air... It is inspiring and heart-warming to see how gifted people are. I am constantly in awe of people's inventiveness; in their creations; loving stories. That people can come from around the globe - partake in this medium - and prove that Globalisation is not all negative; it is not turning us all into the same senseless consumer; but it can give people a voice; allow them to share their dreams and creations with the rest of the world. There are artists, milliners, designers, children, authors, collectors, avid second-hand + antique enthusiasts, mothers, knitters, browsers to list a few. It is not a stuffy old building where only "well-known" people are shown; anyone can have a shop; anyone can sign up for free to browse. I admit that sometimes I get lost in all the colour and talent; sometimes I wonder if my little shop will ever take off. But really I don't mind because I am proud to be a tiny part of the etsy mosaic; to share in its history!

Here are a few things I have bought over this year. I have been meaning to post about them for some time! Partly because I get a lot of joy in receiving brown and white parcels and partly because I want you to have a look at what marvellous things people are up to.*The softest shoes in the world from Netamir in Tel Aviv, Israel. I cannot tell you how comfy they are (think wearing a bed on your feet)
*A strong cotton bag from Ninu in Torino, Italy.
*Porcelain treasures from Round Rabbit in Owego, NY
*Heart-warmingly colourful felt + paper artworks from Kupkup in Madrid, Spain.*A beautiful paper-cut print from Elista in California.
*Wee fabric buttons that make me smile every time I look at them from Creamrose in Hove, United Kingdom*And finally paper treats from Mollie + Annie (Royal Buffet) in Greenville, SC - I kid you not, it is a buffet for the eyes... this house is slowly being taken over by Mollie's birds thanks to my mother. But I am not complaining.There are other things I either gave away or have talked of before. But I must say I admire everything that my dear friend Jillian (of Noisy Plume fame) creates. She crafted me those bead-of-nasturtium earrings way back and they remain my ears' favourites.

There are zoodles and OODLES of things I love on etsy but haven't the funds or means just yet. I want to try and make as many gifts and things by hand, but for all else there is etsy; if only just to warm the heart.

5 comments:

  1. Don't get me started on those shoes from Netamir! They have been on my wish list for nearly a year. They are totally and completely adorable. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming post!

    I often make people laugh when I tell them that all of my songs are hand made too! Well, it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog! Your love of beauty and the Creator of beauty is very encouraging and inspiring! I love your etsy finds - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oohhh, thanks so much for your comment!! My husband and I went to see Sufjan earlier in the year too - it was pretty special. I particularly liked all the wings - someone in the audience even made a "Thankyou Sufjan" cake and gave it to him at the end of the concert:) Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my lovely... your hair is a sure sign of gypsy ancestry. ^_^ and i adore it!

    i also adore the many beautiful things you have purchased on etsy! you're inspiring further perusal of that amazing website. so far my browsing has been confined to your most excellent boutique. ^_^ and not that i'm complaining, but there is clearly much to be discovered.

    speaking of which, i'm very much looking forward to checking out your wares on saturday! might just have to buy a thing or two, for myself and as pressies, of course. ^_^ anyway, see you tomorrow, my lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.