31 Aug 2008

Overcast days require you to:

Unwind after a busy, busy week:
Pick fresh blooms on your morning walk.
Make vegetable and barley soup
(Which you eat in an equally colourful bowl)
Curl up with the newspaper and lots of warm tea,
And maybe a little dark chocolate,
because its good for the spirit.

Vegetable and Barley Soup

1 large leek thinly sliced
1 brown onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 celery sticks chopped
1 large carrot chopped
2 small zucchinis chopped
handful or two of green beans, chopped
4 large ripe tomatoes
1 cup of barley
1.5-2 litres good vegetable or chicken stock
2 bay leaves

Gently saute onions and garlic with olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add leeks and gently fry for a couple of minutes until soft and translucent. Then add rest of vegetables, including tomatoes - pour in stock and bring to the boil. Add barley, bay leaves and simmer with the lid on for 30 mins - 1hr (depending on how soft you like your barley to be). Salt and pepper to taste.

10 comments:

  1. I like that the pic of the chopped veggies speaks of a slightly anal-retentive personality (only because that is EXACTLY how I would line mine up).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can testify to umber's comment.

    she was at my house and without me noticing had arranged my chaotic display of eye shadows into color rows. not kidding.

    i can always tell when she's been here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be delighted to meet for tea on Tuesday! I have a break from 2-3 so that would be perfect. Where shall we meet?

    Ps. I made your red lentil dahl for dinner tonight. It seemed perfect for a rainy Sunday. Oh, it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that soup, I made a similar one to it but the garlic is a very cool addition.
    What's the plan for this week's picnic fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dove - hehe, I think more than anything I line chopped vegetables up because it is so satisfying to see all the colours next to each other (must be the artist in us?) And don't even get me started on fabric and fabric shops! That's when I do go a little mad..

    And I love it that Mme is always nearby to testify your claims and vis versa! I am now completely intrigued to see Dove's house and all the carefully colour-arranged things.

    Dear Gen,
    Unfortunately I have a lecture from 2-3! So either we might be able to meet up before or after? And I'm glad you enjoyed the red lentil dahl; its just delicious.

    Sweet Caitlin; vegetable soup is the best! And I firmly believe garlic makes most things tastier. This week, this week - we'll have to meet up on Thursday (I've a break from 1-2) if that works for you - otherwise Tuesday 12-1/2? I'm thinking a black + white (and or poka dots) theme? I have the perfect cake in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just over at caitlin's blog saying how much I love the blogs that the pair of you have created because they're such little havens of domesticity - I flick over to yours and what do I find? A recipe for vegetable soup! i love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... vegetable barley soup! It's near impossible to find leeks here though. In the winter I am constantly snatching up the few that come in. Very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, i must have been a daze when i left you a comment last night. I teach from 2-3 and my break is from 12-2! So, that sounds perfect. I'm leaving you my mobile number just in case we don't get to converse online before tomorrow. Just let me know where to meet.

    Gen: 0432 653 450

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.