19 Jul 2008

Day to day: Breakfast I

They all say breakfast is the most important meal of the day but I say its just the best full stop. Oscar Wilde said "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" and George Eliot quotes that breakfast is the best meal of the day because "no dust has settled on one's mind then, and it presents a clear mirror to the rays of things." So though I may be dull as a doornail, I love having breakfast. I like to meet my day with a good feed - a thought-about meal - something that gives me a feeling of peace, energy and vivacity. When I was overseas in Europe recently I was aghast at how few people ate "proper" breakfasts (coffee and a wee biscuit doesn't count to me) and I'm not saying you need to have a HUGE AND GIANT plate of whatever; I'm just saying I like to sit down, preferably with some sunshine, and something worth reading, and devour my breakfast slowly and thoughtfully. So this week for the next 7 days I'm going to make myself have a different breakfast and document the results on here.

I'm sure you've seen the delightful blog - simply breakfast - which is complete bliss and ecstasy for the eyes and stomach - but this is more about me thinking a little more about that meal that begins my day; and how different and delicious I can make them.

This is my first day and its a bit of cheat because we went out for breakfast. We went to Martini in Newtown - I had poached eggs with baked pumpkin, polenta fingers, shaved parmesan and baby spinach. I also had a fresh beetroot, ginger and carrot juice. It was divine... Did I mention that Australia does breakfast really really well? Its true! I think Australians may just enjoy breakfast more than any other meal, yes, including barbecues.

6 comments:

  1. That looks so delish! I look forward to your week of breakfasts - I too LOVE breakfast, I always make myself sit, relax and savour it while I think about the day ahead or the one just past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, delicious. I imagine you might be making something similar in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. I just had homemade bread with raspberry jam and chedder (extra sharp) with a huge pot of tea...but YOUR break-the-fast looks delish!
    OXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it certainly was delicious... and I know you three all appreciate and savour that start of the day meal; oh Plume; homemade bread with raspberry jam and cheddar sounds sooooo good. I want to some now. Even though I've already eaten. Sometime this week though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breakfast time in about 7 hours for me :D

    So I might just give the raspberry jam and cheddar a try and get back to you on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wated to go to Martini. I used to live in Newtown and walked past it almost everyday on the way to uni but never ventured in.

    But i think i must visit it soon.

    It's lunchtime now but you've got me thinking about breakfasts! I just did some grocery shopping and got some tangelos. Hmm...maybe that will be breakfast tomorrow with some porridge and a cup of english breakfst tea...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.