8 Jun 2008

Things to do with vine ripe tomatoes

Smell them. Because tomatoes grown naturally in someone's backyard - ripened red on the vine -
they actually smell. Not like those faceless GM ones you see looking sad in the supermarket... these are redder, sweeter and just generally nicer in temperament (lots of wavy seeds inside, perfect texture). So after smelling them for a good long while; breathing in all the natural rain and wind and earth you will
Make the most delicious tomato and basil soup you've ever had
And have them on toast for breakfast - blended up Spanish style.
(Yes lots of olive oil and a pinch of salt is a must)

Sigh. Memories of Spain;Now I think I should stop reminiscing and do some still life painting because I am soooooo smitten with these glorious red globes and I don't know if I'll ever eat such delicious and scrumptious tomatoes again...

2 comments:

  1. Those tomatoes do look lovely. Mrs. Plume grows her own (as I am sure you well know!) and makes the scrummiest pico de gallo with them. Mmm... I need to start growing my own now that she is moving. I do have a black thumb though... but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa I remember when Mrs Plume harvested her own! And now I'm hungry for pico de gallo... And regardless of the colour of your thumb all you need is some full sunlight, a bit of water and tender words now and again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.