10 May 2008

Beetroot Brownies

Yep. Never really thought of beetroot + chocolate as a dream combination of flavours but it is. I love trying new recipes especially when they involve unlikely ingredients! These brownies aren't too sweet like normal decadent brownies because there's not a lot of sugar in them (which suits my recent aversion to using refined sugar in baked goods) and the beetroot brings something moist and earthy - a perfect match for dark chocolate. Not to mention that beetroot is a great source of fibre!

100g butter, softened
100g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tspn ground nutmeg
110g plain flour
4 eggs
90g dark chocolate, melted (I use 85% cocoa)
100g ground almonds
180g raw beetroot, finely grated
50g chocolate, melted, extra

Preheat moderate oven (180'c). Cream butter and sugar with an electric beater, then add vanilla, nutmeg and flour and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add 90g melted chocolate at room temperature, then fold in almonds and beetroot. Spoon mixture into a 15cm x 25cm paper-lined and greased baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Cool, cut into rectangles and drizzle with extra melted chocolate to decorate.

Is this not the most delightful coloured mixture you've ever seen?

These brownies are something different; something delicious in colour, texture and taste - and make a perfect addition to a mothers day afternoon tea; complete with pots of tea, fresh wholemeal scones with jam and cream, fruit, chocolate wafers, and a fresh banana cake with passionfruit glaze. I am in the land of sweet ecstasy...

3 comments:

  1. Beets are one of my favorite things. I am trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very favorite addition to a burger is the beet. So lovely. Such an Australian and Kiwi thing to do -- New Zealand was where I first encountered such a thing!

    I wish we could throw a baking bash together. I can imagine us spinning around the kitchen like two warm hearted tornadoes mixing up the sweetest things:)

    I adore you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.