15 Apr 2008

Evidence of rainy weather

My flowering crocuses
(which only come out after storms)Beaded grass
And warming comfort food
I give you Spinach + Tofu pie thing:
It all started last year when I went to a makeshift vegan cafe and tasted delicious spinach and tofu triangles - they are so good and so cheesy tasting for something without any cheese! And that is due to using miso paste. Now, I'm not vegan but I love how innovative they become with food. So here's my recipe;

-2 bunches of english spinach, thoroughly washed and chopped
-large onion finely chopped
-300g of silken tofu
-2 garlic cloves crushed
-2-3 tablespoons of miso paste
-1 tablespoon cumin powder
-salt + pepper
(you can also add some finely chopped mint and parsley)
-puff or filo pastry
-1 egg lightly beaten (my non-vegan addition)
-seasamee seads

Gentle fry onions and garlic in olive oil; add spinach and toss until soft and wilted. Move to big mixing bowl (which has the tofu, spice, miso paste and herbs) - mix well.

Either make triangles with puff pastry or use filo pastry to make a pie; for the latter remember to throughly brush base of dish with melted butter or olive oil - then proceed to butter every two layers of filo; I made mine using 6 sheets of filo - spinach filling - 6 sheets of filo - spinach filling - 6 sheets of filo - then folded over the excess filo onto; brushed with beaten egg and generously springled sesamee seeds on top.

Bake in a moderate oven (180'c) for 40 minutes or until golden.Mmmm.. I am liking this weather

2 comments:

  1. Spinach + tofu pie thing!? Hehe. That's funny. I have most of this stuff (except the onions) at home already. Now I know what to make for dinner for my starving family tomorrow night! =) I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.