24 Mar 2008

You are what is most beautiful about me

I went to the art gallery today to see the Archibald prize - there were some really wonderful and inventive portraits. I particularly liked the one that won; Del Kathryn Barton's self portrait with her two children titled "You are what is most beautiful about me" - she says that the title of her portrait: "alludes to that utterly profound ‘in-loveness’ that all mothers have for their children. Both my children have taken my world by storm and very little compares to the devotion I feel for them both. The intensity of this emotion is not something that I could have prepared myself for. The alchemy of life offered forth from my inhabitable woman's body is perhaps the greatest gift of my life.” My mother was very moved by it - but then what mother wouldn't?

I find her style so vibrant and intriguing. What you can't see in the photo is the large scale of her work - you stand at eye height with the smallest child; and she appears as this big, transcending figure - much like looking up at your mother when you're small... You also can't see her intricate dot-painting in the background and use of mixed media (what looks like watercolours, oils and ink) - I've since found some other work of hers;
Oh my; how cool is this last one?

1 comment:

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.