9 Mar 2008

Where it all began

And so it began - about this time last year; my new job doing "market research".

I really had no idea what I was getting into (unpredictable shifts, impossible surveys, boredom, constant abuse and every profanity under the sun). Ok. So cold calling research was never going to be a barrel of laughs but at least we were never selling anything and it was flexible around uni hours; and most of the time were asking questions relating to politics, community and social issues (that ended up becoming a very telling anthropological study).

But I never anticipated myself actually being productive there (income aside) - it became my official "doodling time" - while on the phone I could conjure up all sorts of nonsensical scenes and characters and stories... I have always loved drawing and doodling on the phone so it seemed a perfect combination. I just never realised it'd go so far! and from the support of friends around me I decided to write a children's book and illustrate it (the text is complete and the illustrations are getting finished + in the process of finding an agent) with 3 others in the works... I also ended up designing bookmarks and christmas cards - which you can find in my etsy store.

Today was my last shift and I feel so lucky and blessed to have stumbled across such a job - and that it could lead me to a true calling! So I just had to make note of it. I think it also shows how mysterious life can be and how entering one door can lead you to dozens of crazy, unrelated others! So keep being open I say to myself!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your finished, published, brand spankin' new book one day soon...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.