31 Mar 2008

I'm going to need another hand soon

At last! A little bit older! I remember birthday's being so much fun when I was small; the modest gifts I'd get - always a nice piece of clothing and a book; the fabulous and artistic cakes mum would create; going to school and having students not believe it was my birthday (being April Fools and all - I really had to compete for it); my brother and older sister playing tricks on me; like waking up one morning when I was 6 and being completely entangled in a giant spider web of wool! And then with puberty birthday's stopped being so fun; they weren't "cool" or something - but in the last couple of years I've come to love them again; and feel that tingly excitement when I wake up; is that strange? Maybe I just like getting older and baking my own birthday cakes.

And how can you not like birthdays when you wake up with this;

And you get a beautiful birthday skirt, felt beads, and supplies for lino printing!
A decade ago I was nine... and the other day I found a little information sheet I filled out about me when I was nine and in year four at school - here are some of the things I wrote:

Height: 144cm
Likes: cooking, spelling, reading, exploring
Dislikes: singing, sport, English

Favourite food: cabbage, lasagna, mango and all fruit
Favourite colour: "purpel"
Favourite animal: sea slug
Favourite book: "The Little White Horse" (Elizabeth Gouge)
My favourite subject: Art
After school I: do homework, play outside, ride my bike
Something that really bugs you: flies!
When I'm older I want to be: An Actress

And 10 years later:

Height: 173cm
Likes: cooking, crafting, doodling, exploring, talking about anything and everything, walking at dusk, dancing while cooking, playing the spoons, dreaming...
Dislikes: empty promises, pointy-toed shoes, metallic clothes, getting brushed by sweaty bodies at concerts, being rushed
Favourite food: baked quinces, ruby grapefruits, cold toast, yogurt + oats + honey
Favourite colour: still purple but also cobalt blue
Favourite animal: a sea slug, an owl or an otter!
Favourite book: "The Little White Horse" (Elizabeth Gouge) but also Jane Eyre (Bronte), The Spire (W. Golding) and an ever-growing amount of poetry; especially David Malouf's Typewriter Music at present...
My favourite subject: Arabic (and art if I could study it right now)

After school(uni) I: procrastinate by doodling, go walking, highlight course readings
Something that really bugs you: when people complain about things they can't possibly change - like public transport; when my attempts to garden herbs fail miserably, and the sound of mosquitoes when trying to fall asleep

And when I'm older I want to be: An Artist; An explorer; A mother; and a professional flower picker

Now really, not that much has changed has it?

5 comments:

  1. That's neat that you were able to find that little childhood memento, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Allison - it has been so nice to read all your comments :) It makes you feel like someone out there is interested in what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dearest windhover,
    happy happy birthday to you!
    it looks like it was a glorious day.
    XO
    plume

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello darling,
    Happy birthday!! I'm sorry I didn't message you yesterday.. I was working a twelve hour shift and got home and passed out. Two things -
    Metallic clothes - not always a bad thing if your Bowie
    and secondly... playing the spoons?!? Migrate. Now.
    Anyway I have your birthday present lying atop the mountain of mess breeding in my room, an apetising thought to be sure, and it longs for its much cleaner intened owner. Let me know when your free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s From Bron xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.