8 Oct 2007

Spring Days = Picnics



Just what I felt like. After going to an interview this morning I wandered through some second-hand shops and Chinese markets in Burwood and after thrifting this fabulous "oh-so-picnic-y" checkered cloth and a strangely illustrated German folk record I decided a picnic was needed. Spring is wonderful for fresh fruit and vegetables; in the markets I picked up asparagus for 99c, sugar-snap peas, sprouts and the longest most beautiful looking rhubarb I've ever seen! On the train home I got talking to a young Nepalese man who's only been in Australia for 2 months and is doing post-graduate study in accounting so he can go back home with enough experience to get a good job. He was so honest about his impoverished living conditions and was genuinely shocked by how modern everything is here "like heaven" - I'm not sure about heaven - but I found it really encouraging to meet a man who doesn't want to run away from his homeland but rather bring back experience to improve the lives of others."Departra" I wish you well.

By the way the interview I went to was to start becoming a volunteer in the Smith Family's Home Tutor Scheme - helping newly arrived migrants to learn English at home. I'm really excited about the possibility of helping someone nearby who speaks Arabic - then I'll have an opportunity to improve my language skills as well!

Don't you love the whacky cover art of 70s records?


Since it was all in German I had no idea what to expect; the inside cover of these handsome fellows was the deciding factor for me. I wish more young men had beards these days. Though a bit scratchy I enjoyed this record while eating my lunch; they appear to be singing little folk ditties (with fiddles and accordions of course).


Simple Spring Frittata

-1 onion chopped
-2 cloves garlic
-2 rashers of bacon chopped (optional)
-1 or 2 zucchinis grated
-bunch of asparagus (with ends snapped off)
-4 free range eggs
-1 tomato thinly sliced

Fry onion, garlic and bacon till soft. Add to bowl with grated zucchini. Chop asparagus stalks into pieces on the diagonal and add to the bowl. In a separate bowl whisk eggs until light and frothy and add to the other ingredients. Mix well. Pour into a pie dish and arrange thin slices of tomato on top. Season with a generous handful of dried oregano and salt and pepper. Bake in a moderate oven (180'c) for about 40 minutes. When cooked it should be slightly golden around the edges and firm to touch.

You can include a quiche base but I prefer it without. You can also add/replace with any other vegetables you like grated carrot or spinach. Adding grated cheese also adds a bit more flavour!


A nice finish with my ginger and lemon sorbet that I prepared earlier.

1 comment:

  1. That cd cover by 'leiderjan' or however you spell it is crazy.. that image of morte/ death is based on a 14th century morality poem called 'Danse macabre' (Dance of Death) reminding the living that rank and status are meaningless to death- he'll dance you away when the time comes regardless. It was published anonymously during a particularly nasty stint of the plague. what a bizarre thing to put on the cover of a cd.. is the music at all grim?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.