22 Oct 2007

Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush

I went for a walk this morning to make the most of Spring-weather - can you believe its nearing the end of October already? You know its exam season when the Jacarandas are blooming and I can start to see purple sprout out on all the local trees. Spring also means mulberry season - and this morning I went, bag in hand, to a park which has an overhanging mulberry tree (its GIANT). I felt like such a child, reaching up on tippy toes to pick the dark juicy berries - my hands were stained so purple at the end. It reminds me of the mulberry tree we had growing up at my first house - it was a marvellous tree because you could hoist yourself up into the branches and sit quite comfortably as you scoffed your mouth with berries. I also remember how good mulberry leaves are for silk worms... I look forward to having my own Mulberry tree one day; and all the jams, smoothies, cakes, fat silk worms (and berry stained babies) that will profit of it.

My harvest is in the freezer right now; but come Christmas - copious Mulberry-involving recipes will emerge!



And I couldn't help humming this to myself as I picked:

"Here we go round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush
Here we go round the mulberry bush

So early in the morning"

4 comments:

  1. did you save any berries for me? can we have some photos of you all dirty picking them in bare feet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps.. but I don't know how well they will keep if I send some via airmail - Mulberry jam on the other hand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unkle E's brain whirrs and groans, and out comes a random thought .....

    I wonder if mulberry juice is the world's strongest stain, or is it beetroot, or .......?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm thats a hard one - I'm going to go with beetroot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.